The 2016 Homeowners Guide to Mold – Part 4
You can remove small amounts of mold on hard surfaces yourself! That’s right, you don’t necessarily have to pay someone to do it – especially in the shower where constant moisture and soap scum allow mold to grow. However, there are some guidelines to keep in mind.
You should call a professional mold remediation company when:
1. The mold is on a porous surface
If the mold is growing on drywall, wood or other porous surfaces you should contact a professional. The mold colony will penetrate the material, which means simply wiping it down will not remove the mold. You could tear the material out yourself (if the area is small), but a professional may be able to remove the mold without damaging your home.
Besides, a basic evaluation should be free (if it’s not, call someone else.) ServiceMaster NCR is available 24/7 at (855) 957-6627.
2. The mold growth is “heavy” or widespread.
Despite what you might find on the internet, there is no hard rule for how much mold is safe for you to remove. Here’s an example, the two pictures below show 10 square feet of mold growth.
Though both pictures show “10 square feet”, one colony is more dense than the other. You will have to decide for yourself whether or not DIY is worth the risk.
3. Your family is at greater risk
The following people are at greater risk when exposed to mold:
♦ Immunocompromised (sick people)
♦ Asthma / Allergy sufferers