ServiceMaster October 2014 Newsletter

  (855) 957-6627                                                     

Servicemaster Ncr october newsletter

Help Your Clients Prevent Fires

October is Fire Prevention Month, sponsored by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). During this month, the NFPA encourages homeowners to check their smoke alarms to ensure they are working in the event of a fire.
Below are a few tips for avoiding common causes of fires:

  • Cooking-related fires
    The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food. Turn off the stove if leaving the kitchen for even a short period of time.
  • Candle-related fires
    More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Heating-related fires
    Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Electrical-related fires
    Only plug one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) into a receptacle outlet at a time.

If you should experience fire damage, ServiceMaster Restore® is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Just call 1-855-957-6627 to reach a disaster response specialist at our office.

Reproduced from NFPA’s Fire Prevention Week website, © NFPA 2014.

Taking Action After Fire Damage

When fire unexpectedly damages a home, the first steps they take could mean the difference between a small cleanup and a more severe and costly claim.

Before ServiceMaster Restore arrives on the scene, you should follow these steps to help keep the damage to a minimum.


  • If the temperature is above 60 degrees, air out the house to reduce smoke odor.
  • Clean Formica, chrome, porcelain and aluminum fixtures to prevent permanent tarnishing or etching.
  • Change the air filter on the furnace if it uses forced hot air.
  • Tape damp cheesecloth over returns and supply registers to capture loose soot in the air.


  • Do not touch anything with bare hands. Oil from hands can permeate upholstery, walls and woodwork, causing additional damage.
  • Do not wash walls. Incorrect cleaning could compound the soot residue.
  • Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture.
  • Do not use electrical appliances until having them checked.
  • Do not use ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet.

ServiceMaster Clean® | ServiceMaster Restore® | Furniture Medic® |

ServiceMaster Restore services provided by independently owned and operated franchises and may vary depending on location.

© 2014 ServiceMaster Residential/Commercial Services L.P. All rights reserved.