Carpets are prone to developing a musty smell after water damage, especially if restoration is not done to perfection. This is why it is recommended you hire professionals. ServiceMaster NCR is a call away if you are looking for professionals for water disaster restoration in Alexandria.
Your carpets may need professional cleaning to eliminate the musty smell, but you can clean them yourself if the damage is not extensive.
Here are steps you can follow to remove the musty smell:
- Fix the water damage first to correct the problem and avoid a repeat of the same after cleaning your carpet.
- Vacuum the carpet to remove dust and helps the smell dissipate quicker.
- Mix one cup of white vinegar and two cups of warm water and mist over the carpet.
- Pour a generous amount of baking soda to neutralize the odor. Baking soda is safe for people and pets and will not damage the carpet.
- Wait for the baking soda to do its job. It is best to leave it overnight for maximum effect.
- Alternatively, you can use hydrogen peroxide. Mix one part hydrogen peroxide and five parts water in a spray bottle and mist all over the carpet. Hydrogen peroxide will help neutralize the odor and kill mold spores.
- You can also use carpet shampoo but vacuum the carpet first to remove dust and loose dirt.
- Use a sponge to apply the shampoo to the carpet but be careful not to oversaturate the carpet. Leave it to sit for a while, and air dry the carpet to remove moisture completely.
- If the musty smell persists, repeat the process you prefer from the above.
This DIY cleaning process can eliminate the musty smell in carpets, but if the smell persists, call a clean up and restoration company for professional cleaning. At ServiceMaster NCR, we ensure optimal cleaning and restoration of water-damaged properties. Call us for water disaster restoration in Alexandria and the environs.